Tuesday 22 July 2014

Crossings, Butterflies and Cows

Day 2
Rangemore to Rosliston
9 1/2 miles
Weather - even hotter

Today I completed two sections again; Rangemore to Branston and Branston to Rosliston.  The areas were new to me and I was walking solo, which was also new for me on a long distance walk.   There weren't any novelty canal boats are dancing ladies to entertain me today but there were other delights.

I left Rangemore via a sun dappled woodland alive with bird song and, in particular, wrens.  I watched them flitting about in the undergrowth.

I passed through lush meadows and there I had my first cow encounter.  Those who have followed my previous walking blogs will know how I felt when I saw three heifers staring at me as I climbed the stile.  There wasn't an alternative route, there were only three of them and I had to get on with the walk.  So I entered the meadow and one brave heifer trotted straight towards me.  I brandished my stick and shouted at him which stopped him briefly.  He kept following me whilst the other two edged nearer.  Luckily, it was a small field and I was soon over the next stile. Hazel 1 - Cows 0.

Battlestead Hill was cool and green and a welcome respite from the hot day.  The view from the top was splendid and I enjoyed the short hill top walk before descending to Tatenhill.

It was good to join the Trent and Mersey Canal again and  I completed my first crossing of the day as I tramped over Tatenhill lock and bridge and followed the towpath into Branston Water Park.

 My next crossing was the A38 - a very busy road.  The town planners had thoughtfully provided a subway which eased the crossing.  I walked through Branston and passed a fine row of Victorian cottages which nestled by the busy dual carriageway. Next, past The Gate Inn pub and then I was out on the river plain and heading for the railway line.

 Considering it is so close to Burton this was a very remote part of the day's walking.  There was me, some sheep, the quarries, the occasional train trundling by and then there were the butterflies, dragonflies and bees.  The place was alive with them all making the most of the thistles, the abundant nettles, blue geraniums and a multitude of other flowers - marvellous.  The path, in parts of this section, was hard to follow.  Sections are swamped in nettles and brambles and some of the waymarkers are hidden. Third crossing of the day was then made as I climbed a footbridge over the railway lines and I got a wave from a train driver.

 Under the baking sun I eventually reached the River Trent and made my fourth crossing of the day and walked over the footbridge  into Walton on Trent. 


I had lunch in the church yard and then a swift half at the White Swan.  Here I met a group of walkers who were just setting out to do the stretch of the trail I had just done. They were being led by a 'Walking for Health' volunteer.  We had a chat, swapped notes and then I was off on the last two miles to Rosliston. 

By now it was very, very hot and it was hard work to keep plodding on.  In quick succession I  had two more cow encounters.  The first meeting was easily dealt with - a wide circuit of a bull, cows and calves and I don't think they knew I was there.  Hazel 2 - cows 0.  The second meeting a few fields further on took a bit longer.  A herd of cows all lying next to the stile I was heading for.  I was feeling brave after my earlier conquests so entered the field,  they all stood up and started to head towards me.  I beat a hasty retreat, checked the lie of the land and made alternative arrangements.  Hazel 2 - cows 1.

After a hot, sweaty day filled with a wide variety of vistas, landscapes and wildlife I eventually arrived at Rosliston Forest Centre.  Forecast is for another hot day tomorrow - I think I might melt.








No comments:

Post a Comment