Friday 25 July 2014

Reservoirs, Refreshments and a Rendevous

Day 4
Hartshorne to Ashby de la Zouch
12 1/2 miles
Weather - cloudy and cool to start, then hot and sunny

Right then - fourth day and the combined stages today were: Hartshorne to Ticknall and Ticknall to Ashby.  It was a cool start in Hartshorne but the sun soon joined the party and made its presence felt for the rest of the day.  Again this was a day filled with woodlands, ancient and modern but there were also reservoirs, bogs and ponds.

 I walked steadily uphill through Hartshorne's new plantations and  these were followed by older woodlands.  A path led
me past mossy, gnarled trees whilst a thrush sang overhead.  It was early and I had the woods to myself again.

I soon arrived at  Carver Rocks.
I hadn't seen this rocky outcrop before and it was an amazing place.  Towering, looming gritstone cliffs suddenly appeared amongst the trees.  A group of wrens hopped amongst the rocks. An atmospheric spot which stirred the soul.

The first reservoir of the day was Foremark.  I wasn't the only early bird here - the fishermen were out on the water, dog owners were just arriving with their hounds and the water board man was emptying the bins.  After a short break to enjoy the water and watch the ducks I was on my way again. The hamlet of Millom, the Hangman's Stone, Windmill Wood were all soon walked by and I arrived in Ticknall village.  The village hall is an excellent place with very handy public toilets.

The trail continued out of the village and on to the Calke Abbey Estate - an area I know well.  Past Betty's Pond and its water lilies, the ancient oak trees and lots of day trippers, I found the cafe and enjoyed a delicious scone and a refreshing cup of tea.

 Before leaving the park I also visited the bird hide hiding in full sight in the corner of the car park.  It's well worth a visit as I think every variety of bird must visit this place. I sat in there for 5 minutes and saw at least 10 different types.  A quick scoot around the deer park and then a walk by Staunton Harold Reservoir - a great expanse of water  with swans, herons, ducks, grebes and dinghies from the local sailing club.  Next I was off to Dimminsdale, a woodland managed by the Wildlife Trust.

I was immediately plunged into a green, lush, cool oasis.  It is hard to imagine that this area was once an industrial landscape where limestone was quarried and processed.  The scars of industry have been replaced by a haven for wildlife, plants and trees.  Such a peaceful place now - the old quarries submerged beneath tranquil pools.  If you like snowdrops then do visit in February when the woods are full of them - a legacy of the workers' cottage gardens.

I reluctantly left the welcome shade of Dimminsdale and headed across fields dotted with mature oak trees under which sheep were sensibly avoiding the heat of the midday sun.  A brief encounter with a large herd of cows was quickly dealt with;  as always discretion is the better part of valour.

I had spotted an area on the map called Black Ditches which sounded intriguing.  I cross a stile into a woodland and there it was- a bridge over a deep gorge.  It seemed an ancient and interesting spot and worth exploring.  I now plunged in to a plantation area near Old Parks Farm.  This was planted roughly 10 years ago and doesn't appear to have been managed during that time.  The path was completely overgrown in places with tree branches, nettles, brambles, thistles all trying to block my progress.  I felt like Frodo and the gang being thwarted by the Old Forest but, alas, Tom Bombadil wasn't around to help me through.  I slogged on slashing back the undergrowth, plagued by biting insects and nettle stings whilst the sun beat down and the encroaching trees blocked the cooling breeze.

  I finally escaped, had a drink and staggered on towards Ashby and civilisation.  I had a rendezvous with Carol and Richard from the National Forest Company and I had been promised a nice cup of tea.  Suddenly my feet had wings.  It was quite a shock to the system to be suddenly amongst traffic and people after my mainly solitary, peaceful day.  I walked down Market Street and was soon spotted by Carol and Richard - after all I was the only person clutching a map, carrying a ruck sack and perspiring freely on Market Street that day.



Shade was found and tea was enjoyed whilst we discussed the walk.  Another fine day's walking was over so time to head home.









No comments:

Post a Comment