Sunday 27 July 2014

Never mind the bullocks - I've got a walk to complete

Day 6
Thornton Reservoir to Beacon Hill
13 miles
Weather - yes, you've guessed it - hot.

So here we are on the last day and what a super day to finish this epic journey.  The stages today were Thorton to Bradgate Parl and Bradgate Park to Beacon Hill. It had it all - beautiful woodlands (obviously), interspersed with cattle, tea and cake, hoards of day trippers and one of the best endings to a long distance walk.

So I began the day at Thornton Reservoir and paused a while to enjoy the tranquillity of this lovely place along with the early morning joggers and dog walkers.
I headed out of the village and crossed the first stile of the day into a large field with a herd of resting  bullocks.  Just my luck.  I gave myself a good talking to and strode purposely by them.  They all stood up, I walked a little quicker and made it safely to the next stile.  With a pounding heart and breathing heavily I peered apprehensively into the next large field and there was another herd - bullocks again.  Trapped!  I assessed the situation, considered my options and stepped into the field.  They were over the far side and, it seemed, preoccupied with grass eating.  Next minute they were cantering along the hedge, but not towards me, so I kept walking.  They reached the corner and then I realised they were heading for the same destination as me, the stile.  What to do?  I started jogging -  with a heavy rucksack, heading uphill and with soaring temperatures.  I know you are not supposed to run but I needed to get to the stile before them.  Suddenly they stopped and I managed to reach the stile and clamber over.  I looked back and the blighters were stood in a line watching me...sniggering.  Cows 1 - Hazel 0.

A deep breath and then onwards and upwards and along a bridleway and past a golf course. I entered the first woodland where two horse riders trotted by whilst the butterflies and dragonflies flitted ahead of me.  Ratby Burroughs was a splendid maturing woodland with dappled sunlight and squirrels everywhere.  An ornamental bench beckoned and I enjoyed a quiet moment in the sunshine.

At the edge of Pear Tree Woods- a woodland created in 1997,  I had a rendezvous with a friend who was making a guest appearance for a few miles - Mrs YC. Together we plunged into Martinshaw Woods which is a magnificent mature woodland. The sound of the M1 may have been the backdrop to this section but the trees were beautiful as they towered above us.

A movement on the path ahead caught my eye and I spotted a shrew disappearing into the undergrowth.  By now the sound of the motorway could not be ignored and we were soon crossing a bridge over the fast and furious vehicles.  Within minutes of making the crossing, the continuing delights of the Martinshaw woods muffled the sound behind us and we were back in peace and tranquillity.  Then another blast of urgent traffic as we quickly trotted over the A50 and then the busy, noisy roads were behind us.

As we approached Newtown Linford, thoughts of refreshments were at the forefront of my mind.  The village was busy with families making the most of the glorious weather so we retreated to the peaceful church yard to enjoy our packed lunch.  Next stop was one of the many tea rooms where we tucked into tea and cake.  Suitably refreshed we continued our journey.

Bradgate Park was full  of families picnicking, paddling in the river and sunbathing.  A group of Fallow Deer sheltered in the shade of a tree by the main path and seemed unperturbed by the people strolling by and stopping to take photographs.


We turned left by the ruins of Bradgate House and started our ascent to Old John Tower.  We walked along broad paths surrounded by bracken.  At one point we startled a fawn and it leapt up and disappeared into the bracken further ahead.  After many pauses to turn and admire the view opening up behind us, we reached the tower. We rested in the shade, had a drink and looked out over the landscape.  We could see up to 30 miles away and it was splendid.

We descended the hill and headed on to Swithland Woods.  A fine woodland which once echoed to the sound of quarrying as Swithland slate was a major industry in this area.

Mrs VC left me at Woodhouse Eaves as I continued on the final stage of the journey through Broombriggs Farm to Beacon Hill. A steady climb past fine wooden sculptures, a woolly herd of Alpacas and some Highland and Longhorn Cattle soon brought me to the summit of Beacon Hill.  And what a view I had from there.  I admired the fine vistas in all directions and shared the moment with a grandma and grandad who had brought their young granddaughter for a visit.  I told them it was the first time I had been here and grandad asked me where I'd been all life.  I said 'Manchester' and he laughed.

Somebody asked me why I chose to do the walk West to East rather than East to West.  At the time I said I wasn't sure but it just seemed the right way to do it.  Looking out over that fine landscape I knew why I chose this way - it was the perfect end to a super walk.




 I would not have been able to do this walk without the support of my husband, Mr McD.  Each day he has ferried me to the starting points and picked me up at the end of each stage Thank you very much husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment